Fruit Picking Jobs Forums Bad Picking Experiences Byron Bay Picking- Living in squalor!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    emma roberts
    Participant

I had a horrendous experience when I travelled up to a far halfway between Byron Bay and Bungalow, working for a guy called Sanra.

The living conditions were horrendous and it was a complete joke that anyone was expected to live like that. I would treat an animal better than they treat their workers! Everyone who goes there is unhappy and leaves pretty swiftly. By all means do the fruit picking for your visa if you can travel there from another location but DO NOT LIVE THERE!

I was a girl travelling on my own and it was quite traumatic actually and I just don’t want someone to be tricked into forking out to go there to find that the conditions are grotesque and you’re not even getting any pay.

For example, there were cockroaches in my bed, the oven, cooking hobs, and maggots in the fridge. There were rats in the shed where the caravans were kept, attracted by the stinking piles of rotting veg also dumped in the shed. There were no cooking facilities that were in any fit state and no running water, or in some cases even electricity, in the caravans. Mine did not have a window and there were shards of glass sticking out of the mattress. I wasn’t provided with any clean bedding and the toilet facilities (one toilet for everyone) were RANCID.

Please be careful!

Dimitri
    Keymaster

Hi Emma,
    Sorry to hear about your story, hope your doing well now :) Would you be interested in sending us a few photos? We could publish the story onsite?

Cheers

Dimi

mhmd taha
    Participant

emma roberts make me very afair

emma u mean live in australia is not good .

plz reply to me

Timo Steddar
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up Emma!

Really Appreciate it :D

Kevin Hansen
    Participant

Wow that sounds really bad! Hope i don’t run into anything like that myself :p

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Bad Picking Experiences’ is closed to new topics and replies.